Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Apostle Timothy - 9/7/08pm

Being A) a young man and B) a preacher, it is probably not all that surprising that I spend a great deal of time reading and studying Paul’s letters to Timothy. As such, I would like to spend some time discussing some of the things I have found about Timothy that might help us all to become better servants of the master.

Impact of Godly upbringing
Timothy was brought up in the Jewish faith by his mother and grandmother, as opposed to what his father believed. I’m sure it was not the easy thing for his mother to do, yet it was done. Parents, look at the results of a godly upbringing! And children, look what happens when you heed godly parents!
Acts 16:1-5 -Jewish mother, gentile father
II Timothy 1:3-5 -Sincere faith which was in his grandmother and mother
II Timothy 3:14-15 -Timothy had been taught since childhood
Acts 14:4-7 -Possibly the time when Timothy responded to gospel

Working with other Christians
Let us consider the effort Timothy put forth in working with other Christians. In Acts 16-20, he travels with Paul, and served well in the roles he filled. When he was needed, he did not make excuses: he went.
Acts 17:10-15 -Timothy is called by Paul to help him
Acts 18:5 -Timothy came (without excuse)
Colossians 1:1 -Timothy is a co-writer of the letter with Paul
I Timothy 1:18 -Paul refers to Timothy as a son

A job to do
As with all Christians, Timothy had specific works to take care of and charges to fulfill. It may not have been what he always wanted, but it’s what he needed to do. And so, he did it.
I Timothy 1:3 -Was to stay behind and teach (not the glorious job)
I Timothy 4:1-16 -The things he was to teach, and set an example in
I Thess. 1:1, 2:6 -The work of an apostle

Taught others
Timothy was to teach others. To preach in season and out of season. And we see that it was not just his peers he was called to teach, but those who under ordinary, worldly circumstances, he would not instruct.
I Timothy 5:1-2 -Including those who are older than he was
I Timothy 6:17-19 -Those wealthier than he was



Difficult doctrines
In his teaching, he, a young man, was called on to teach doctrines that are still considered difficult by many. This could not have been easy for Timothy. Remember, it was not just his peers or those younger he was teaching.
I Timothy 3:1-13 -Elders and Deacons
I Timothy 5:3-20 -Church support and benevolence

Timidity
Is it any wonder then that Timothy seems to have trouble with timidity? It seems to be something he struggled with. Yet as far as the scriptures reveal, he persevered. Even though it was not the easiest thing for him to do, he fulfilled his charge to teach!
I Corinthians 16:10-11 -Admonition to Corinthians that Timothy be without fear
II Timothy 1:5-8, 12, 16 -Admonition to Timothy to not be ashamed or timid

Sickness
Timothy was often sick. I’ve always thought that this was largely stress induced (he was, after all, apparently a reserved and shy man). And as such, I see a good deal of his willingness to serve God in this: that he would work and be concerned enough to make himself sick. And even then, would not fall back on medicinal aids to cure it, but could continue!
I Timothy 5:23 -Timothy was often sick (apparently at the stomach)

Are we so steadfast in our work for Christ? Are we willing to follow Timothy’s example and work, regardless of how easy or difficult it may be? Are we willing to do what is needed and serve wholeheartedly? Are we willing to be like Paul and encourage people who serve as Timothy did?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jered. I am on here also. I haven't posted from this site in a while but I do occasioanlly. I do enjoy reading the blogs and sermons you post on here.

    Daniel Sanders

    ReplyDelete