Friday, February 20, 2009

The Church's Foundation - 2/22/09pm

Matthew 16:13-19 -On this rock Christ built His church
What is the rock being referred to here. Is it Peter? It is his confession? The rock that the church is founded on is the basic truth of what Peter said:

That Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ.
I John 2:22-25 -Antichrists deny that Jesus is the Christ
I John 5:1 -Children of God believe that Jesus is the Christ
That Jesus is the Son of God.
I John 5:1-13 -Not believing Jesus as the Son is calling God a liar
I John 4:12-16 -God abides in those who confess Jesus as God’s Son

Let us take a few moments to consider the foundation of the church.
I Corinthians 3:1-17 -Christ the foundation that we built ourselves upon
Ephesians 2:20-22 -Christ is the chief cornerstone
I Peter 2:1-8 -Christ is the Chief cornerstone
The church is built upon Christ. Not upon other men. But upon Christ. Who Christ was, and what Christ taught, that is, the gospel.

We must be built on His example.
John 13:13-17 -Follow Christ’s example
I Corinthians 11:1 -Follow Paul’s example, as he followed Christ’s
I Peter 2:21 -Christ set an example that we should follow

We must be built on His words.
Mark 8:38 -If we are ashamed of Christ’s words, He is ashamed of us
Luke 6:46-49 -Wise and foolish builders
John 14:23-24 -If we keep His words, the Farther will love us
I Corinthians 11:23 -Paul taught what Christ had taught
We see that we not limited only to following whichever words are in red, but also the rest of the inspired scriptures.

Jude 1:20-21 -Build yourselves ON your most holy faith
I Corinthians 2:1-5 -Paul preached Jesus, that their faith rested on God’s power, not man’s wisdom
Acts 8:26-40 -Philip preaches Jesus, the Eunuch obeys the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment