Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ebenezer - 10/26/08am

We occasionally sing the song “O Thou Found of Every Blessing “ That has the phrase, “Here I raise my Ebenezer” in it. How often have we stopped to think about what this is talking about? How many of us have focused on this word and been sure of what we are singing? Let us take the time today to understand what an Ebenezer is, and what its significance should be to us.
I Samuel 4:1-11 -Philistines defeat Israel twice and capture the ark
Why did they lose?
I Samuel 4:19-22 -God has departed with the ark and because of Phineas’ sins
Joshua 7:1-6 -Aachan’s sin results in defeat
I Samuel 28:15-19 -Because of his sins, the kingdom is taken from Saul
What did the ark’s capture mean?
Exodus 25:17-22 -God would meet with Moses/high priest at the ark

I Samuel 5:1-12 -Having the ark brings plagues on the Philistines
I Samuel 6:1-21 -The Philistines return the ark to Israel
I Samuel 7:1-14 -Israel defeats Philistines after returning to God
So What About Us?
Samuel raised an Ebenezer to help Israel remember the help that God had given to them. After their sins caused God’s presence to leave, when they returned to the Lord. And God granted them victory. No longer were their sins remembered, only their relationship with God. So it is with us!
Romans 3:23 -for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Isaiah 59:1-4 -Sin separates us from God
Acts 26:20 -Repent, turn to God, show it in our deeds
I John 4:1-5 -With the Lord’s help, we will gain victory

No comments:

Post a Comment