Sunday, April 6, 2008

David's Mighty Men - Bonus Sermon!

I found it! I hadn't posted this one earlier because I had seemed to misplace my notes. So here it is for you. I think this was the evening sermon for March 9, 2008, if I remember correctly.


David's Mighty Men

I Corinthians 10:6, 11 -The Old Testament is an example for us
II Timothy 3:16 -All scripture is good and useful

II Samuel 23:8-19 (I Chronicles 11:10-47) - Description of David's mighty men

Vs 8 - Josheb-Basshebeth
-He was chief of the three
-He once killed 800 men with a spear
-God provides strength (Philippians 4:13)
-God is more powerful than man (II Samuel 24:15)

Vs 9-10 -Eleazar
-Fought so long his hand froze to his sword
-Stood his ground when others retreated
-We must stand firm to the end to be saved (Matthew 10:22)

Vs 11-12 -Shammah
-Defended the center of the field
-Won victory
-God provides victory to those who serve Him (Hebrews 11:6)

Vs 13-17 -Water from Bethlehem
-Broke through the Philistine army
-Brought water back to David
-God does not require such great feats to serve Him (I Corinthians 9:17, Ephesians 2:8-10)
-Insurmountable odds are possible with God (Luke 1:37, 18:27)
-Are we as eager to serve out King as they were to serve theirs?

Vs 18-19 -Abishai, brother of Joab (I Chronicles 11:6), brother of Asahel (vs 24)
-Commander over the three
-Killed 300 men with a sword
-We all have out own roles (I Corinthians 12:14-31)
-Families can support/aid each other (Ephesians 5:22-6:4, II Timothy 1:5-6)

Vs 10-23 -Benaiah
-Killed heroes of the Moabite army, climbed into a pit to kill a lion, and killed a 7 1/2 foot Egyptian with his own spear
-Head of David's bodyguard
-Again, everyone has a different role they are most adequately suited for

Vs 24-39 -"The Thirty"
-Uriah the Hittite (II Samuel 11)
-Man may let you down, but God will not (II Peter 3:9-13)
-The mighty men are form different places, like Christians (Matthew 28:18-20)

If the list were assembled of the mighty men of God, would you be on the list? Are you living in such a way that you could make the list of the three? The thirty? Or not at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment