Friday, March 27, 2009

Give Us a King! - 3/29/09am

I Samuel 8:1-5 -The people ask for a king
I Samuel 8:6-9 -Samuel and God are displeased
I Samuel 8:10-18 -The people are warned what a king will do
I Samuel 8:19-21 -The people refuse to listen
I Samuel 9:1-14 -Saul, looking for donkeys, seeks Samuel
I Samuel 9:15-10:1 -Saul’s humility, anointment as king
I Samuel 13:1-15 -Two years later, Saul is rejected for disobedience
We see Saul, a humble, handsome man, selected to be king over a disobedient people. And the people are happy about it. Yet within two years of Israel following Saul, Saul had sinned to the point that the kingdom was taken from his family by the Lord.

Spiritually, we do the same if we follow a man, instead of Christ. Even if that person teaches Christ and His gospel accurately and properly, we must not be focused on the teacher, but rather on the Word of God.
Matthew 23:6-12 -Be not called rabbi, father, or teacher
Galatians 2:20 -Not I who live, but Christ living in me

No man is our king. God is. We should not follow after men, but after God, and what He says. We should follow after the King.
John 18:33-37 -Jesus is a king and bears witness of the truth
I Timothy 6:13-16 -Jesus Christ, our sovereign, King of kings

No comments:

Post a Comment